Studies show that 70 to 85% of people have and will suffer from back pain in their life. In fact, back pain is the third most expensive disease after heart disease and cancer. About 22 million Americans visit chiropractors annually. Of these, 7.7 million, or 35%, are seeking relief from back pain from various causes.
Generally, back pain occurs when a person bends or overstretches his/her back muscles by pulling or lifting some heavy object. Back pain is also common in athletes and weekend warriors who overextend their muscles and joints. People involved in automobile accidents often experience acute back pain.
Back pain can range anywhere from a dull ache to a sharp pain. Back pain can come on suddenly (acute pain) or start to worsen over time. If you have had back pain that has been plaguing you for an extended period of time (over three weeks), it is called chronic back pain. Aspirin may relieve some of the symptoms of your back pain, but will definitely not get to the cause. That’s where the chiropractic services of Dr. Singer and USA Health & Therapy can help. Through a careful chiropractic exam and assessment, we can locate and treat the source of your back pain.
Symptoms of back pain may include:
- Muscle ache
- Shooting or stabbing pain
- Pain that radiates down your leg
- Limited flexibility or range of motion of your back
- Inability to stand straight
What Are Some Preventative Steps To Alleviate Back Pain?
- Keep your body active through regular low impact exercise such as swimming or walking. Do exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your back — especially the abdominals, hips, back, and pelvic area.
- Stretch to alleviate tight back muscles, especially if you have been standing or sitting for any length of time.
- Nutrition is key – follow a balanced diet.
- Make time for you and wellness care.
- Maintain good posture.
- Avoid prolonged bed rest if possible. Fight the urge to crawl into bed whenever your back acts up – bed rest makes back pain worse.
- See your chiropractor early on so you can start moving and stay active
What chiropractic techniques could be used for back pain?
- Intersegmental Traction
- Electric STIM Therapy
- Chiropractic Manipulative Therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Kinesio taping
If you are experiencing back pain, numbness or tingling, visit or call USA Health and Therapy to schedule an appointment as soon as possible. As a Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Singer, a prominent Ft. Lauderdale chiropractor will help alleviate the pain sooner rather than later through various pain-relieving chiropractic techniques. .